Originally Posted by OlTimer
I'm a third generation turkey hunter. I have been chasing them for over 5 decades myself. I have read this entire thread. You seem like a nice guy and I have watched some of your videos as well as Catman, THP, etc. You did not recruit me as a hunter. I have friends that have been traveling for decades hunting public land and their story is all the same. Public land is quickly being ruined for turkeys by the amount of newbies. They all see it as an exploitation of a public resource paid for by taxpayer dollars. More turkey hunters does not equal more turkeys. I wish you well and hope your not mad but I see you doing more damage than good to a sport that has been a part of me, other relatives, friends, my Father and Grandfather's lives.

I respect your opinion. I have thick skin therefore it's hard to make me mad. My question to those of you hunting 50+ years, have you recruited new hunters to replace yourselves when you reach the age that hunting is no longer an option? I'd venture to say we probably need 3/4 hunters to replace each of those phasing out due to increased cost and the increased volitivity within the political arena of nowaday agencies. I know newbies can be frustrating but do you realize we all were newbies once upon a time? Hunters should be viewed as either takers or givers. If a hunter is giving more that his take then more hunters most certainly equal more turkeys. This is the type of hunter I want to be and the type I want to recruit. If the hunter simply takes and neglects efforts to also provide for the resource then you're most likely correct. More hunters will not result in more turkeys and this would be unfortunate. If we as hunters, encourage those among us to be to "gamekeepers," rather than just takers our resources will profit, I'm sure of it.