Originally Posted by Squeaky
Dave I appreciate you taking the time to come on here to share your prospective with this group. I do not know what the right answers are as I can see both sides of the coin. I personally think the increased pressure/numbers of hunters are a bad thing for the public land hunter and dwindling turkey population for many of the reasons already pointed out. I honestly feel sorry for the guys that only have public land to hunt. If that were my only choice these days, I'd go back to bass fishing. I'm certain the dwindling turkey population is a very bad thing for everyone involved. Increased pressure has really hit at an inopportune time as well. But I still believe we can take this increased enthusiasm and create some change that will last much longer than the issues we have on hand and perhaps avoid it from ever happening again.

I could get on board with increasing hunter numbers if these state agencies were truly using the surplus money generated for land purchase and research to find the answer to the problem, poult production!! I have seen several very educated people fail to bring that to the forefront when the opportunity was available to do so! With that said, I feel like the state of Alabama currently has the most incompetent leader in our game and fish departments history of existence. Under his leadership the state of Alabama is screwed in my personal opinion. From my understanding, everyone in academia is pointing to poult production as concern #1. Lots of differing ways to approach the solution though, most all hold their on merits. Leadership could be of concern but we don't know unless we start asking questions. And the best way to cause movement from leadership, a unified voice. I believe we are building an impressive voice and will soon begin using it when necessary.

The game and fish agencies across much of the country have become politized and it's very unfortunate. Money is wasted and robbed, therefore never being utilized for the research and things you mention. Most states can't afford to hire CO's to enforce the current regulations on the books. I simply do not see the money generated from increased hunter recruitment/license sales being utilized for the necessary things that it should be used for. Another case to make sure we are keeping our eyes on the prize so to speak. Let's start demanding answers from our agencies. They will soon begin raking in more money through over flowing Pittman Robertson funds combined with high license sales volumes. That money needs to be put to work for productivity. Let's make sure to applaud a job well done as well. Some of these agencies are working overtime to ensure our resources are managed properly.

I am one of the very people that cast shadow towards the turkey doc "Chamberlain". The man and his work simply do not impress me. He has spouted off a hypotheses (Dominate Gobbler) that is unproven!!! Several state agencies has taken this hogwash as the gospel and ran with it. He is one of the very folks that failed to mention poult recruitment as the number one issue with a declining turkey population. Until these state agencies and biologist bring that glaring issue to the forefront, they will never fix the problem. Arkansas is a prime example, adjusting hunting season and bag limits have failed them miserably. Why do these state agencies continue to throw the same crap against the wall and hope it sticks?? Chamberlain himself says the dominant gobbler theory is not proven. It's a hypothesis which is more or less an educated guess from an individual that has devoted his life to studying turkeys, so it should carry some weight in my opinion. All agencies are responding to a reduction in poult production by limiting seasons, reduced opportunity is the only proven way to reduce harvest. My assumption is this is to pad the carry-over and facilitate a concentrated nest incubation date with reduced disturbance. It's a "we have to do something" answer as a response to an overwhelming number of people who have voiced their concerns with turkey numbers recently. Is it the correct answer? I'm suspect. At the same time I'm not going to fault the agency for making a move as a safety measure. The noise from the public had become substantial. I agree there has to be more research poured into finding answers because if season time was the sole answer states like MO wouldn't be seeing declines as well.

I will no longer support the NWTF because of what they have become. I will not support TFT for the simple fact I asked them how my money would be spent if I contributed to their cause. Never received a reply from those folks. Also their mission statement is vague and along the same lines as the NWTF. I personally want to support a group that their mission is to get answers to poor poult recruitment. I don't think working with state agencies that are politized will accomplish much in the current environment. I can understand your frustrations with NWTF, I have my own as well. I hope they're getting back on track. TFT is a fledging of an organization that has a lot of wheels turning as all it's parts are put into their appropriate places. You should have gotten a return call though, no excuse for that. I do hope you'll reconsider donating to either. There will be some big announcements concerning TFT very soon. I hope you'll follow along.

Out of all this that has taken place there is one positive, I've learned that we aren't producing turkeys, my eyes have been opened to that fact. I need to do more to help the turkeys on the property I control. In my personal opinion a little bit of effort can make a difference. I'm also guilty as charged. I'm holding myself accountable in making sure more turkeys are in our futures.