Originally Posted by CAL
I’m renting one of those machines that you feed it square bales of hay and it spits them out for you. I may do this on some of my logging decks since there’s not much there now. I have some other fields (Sandy loam) that won’t grow much at all. I drilled them last year and they did ok but nothing spectacular. May add some hay to that field as well. What’s your thoughts? Thanks

You may need to subsoil those. I was not able to get very good penetration with my disk on mine until I did that. Then I added lime, and I had to add triple 17 to get them to really perk up with cereal grains last fall. They came up ok, then yellowed and I kept adding nitrogen, and nothing. Added some triple 17 and off they went. Most all the fields I did soil tests on didn't suggest anything but nitrogen.

One of mine I have subsoiled twice and added lime as well, and it still needs it again, so I think we are going to add some horse manure to it. If you really want to create biomass, plant sunn hemp next spring. Onoe of them this spring, I subsoiled it and planted buckwheat and peas on it as is. They came up really good.