RFR……I was just poking at y’all in fun a little bit with the comment on perspective but that really does get overlooked. Think about this and just use your eyes and common sense……How much better do you suppose my field of fall cereal grains and crimson clover grow now with that layer of rich topsoil present as opposed to when it was just sand?? …Let’s suppose that the neighbor has the same chitty silt/sand to deal with……..which they very likely do since this is a common soil type around here….. But let’s say they don’t understand these concepts and have zero OM in their fields.........Hmmmmm………… wink

People lose perspective on the things that should be at the top of the list for being important. ……Just like if I went out here right now, plowed everything under, planted it full of IC peas, and then sat back and watched them get decimated about the time you could tell it’s a pea……..It would serve no purpose and many folks would never even bat an eye at the degradation that would be caused to the fragile silt soil system in the process. They wouldn’t see the rain separating the humus from the sand/silt and they wouldn’t recognize how much they just shot themselves in the foot for the fall as soil OM was lost……They would look at my summer field the way it is now and see nothing positive happening……They wouldn’t see the rich soil being protected from the heavy rains and held in place by the diverse root systems…..or the new round of biomass being produced to keep growing the richness of the humus……and how that will effect the quality of my fall plots and the deer that use it then.......when it matters the most........Folks just tend to see an old field of “weeds” ………Where’s the perspective in that?

Last edited by CNC; 07/21/21 08:56 PM.

We dont rent pigs