I’ve watched a bunch of these videos now on how folks are managing the land for wildlife with cattle and there’s a number of different methods being used to promote the same concepts and ideas. Taking all of it into consideration, I think maybe the simplest manner for achieving the desired results for wildlife would be ……if let’s say we have 3,000 acres total……we divide that into 3 paddocks of 1,000 acres each and then rotate a low stocking density of cattle annually from one to the next just letting them roam the paddock as they choose. In other words you would have one 1,000 acre paddock that was “this year’s” to be actively managed by the herd and then you would move over to the next 1,000 acre paddock next year and so forth…….This would create that nice interspersed mosaic of successional habitat types that suites the needs of the deer, turkey, quail, etc… with the least amount of input and hassle. I still see a time and place for more intensive management where needed but all of that daily moving stuff seems like overkill if producing wildlife habitat is the main goal and you aren’t worried about maximizing cattle production so much.

Plus all of that blocked off mob grazing way of doing it is still putting your successional units each in a box so to speak just like the guy was talking about in the video with the small fire unit on his ranch…..For example, if you blocked off that 1000 acres into 10 units and rotated between them then it would create 10 different stages or heights of growth…..However, level 10 may be ½ mile from level 1 and so forth….An animal like a quail needs as many stages of them as possible within a 30-40 acre area..... and that is the more "natural form"....It would look more like abstract art than nice neat lines

If you just let a light stocking rate of cattle roam a 1,000 acre paddock then you would have a much more interspersed mosaic of all of those same stages of plant growth growing together versus everything being laid out in block fashion……This would give more opportunity for all of those stages to intermingle with one another in a small area creating better micro-environments. Just my ponderings on a rainy day anyways........ smile

Last edited by CNC; 06/20/21 10:18 AM.

We dont rent pigs