Here’s a really important concept to understand……..If you back up a couple posts and look at the pic sequence that I said was “the top end of a watershed finger” and had gotten a lil’ thick…….the pics below are that same exact spots several years ago. For reference, the tree you see in the center of the first pic above to the right of the powerline is the same tree that's to Otis's left in the first pic of this sequence below. All of this water was flowing off of the neighboring farmer’s field…..The water was rushing right through my property though and not being utilized…….I thinned out the overstory and started recycling the understory vegetation……This changed the topsoil structure to be more porous as well as providing mass amounts of vegetation to slow the water down and hold the soil together……I basically created a backstop to catch this water runoff and absorb it into the ground. The result is that you no longer see this massive water flow running through this bottom now and the water that falls on this section of the watershed is being utilized to grow understory vegetation instead of just running on down the watershed. Being able to catch that silt and topsoil sorta recreated an alluvial flood plain scenario too and probably why that very top end of the finger is like a jungle now several years later. Part of managing land and a very important part of it.....revolves around managing water.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CNC; 06/01/21 09:38 PM.

We dont rent pigs