Originally Posted By: L.Thompson
Originally Posted By: BSK
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are just using cameras as a scouting tool, then I agree. But if you are using cameras as a management and data collection tool, then I want a full inventory of bucks using the property.

Good point....I only have about 240 acres to hunt and have been running up to 3 trophy rock/black magic sites during the summer. However, I get a picture of every buck on the land on one of these 3 sites....I'm only going to run the one camera this year...

I also got a picture of the entire "hit list" from the summer on a single scrape from mid Dec to mid Jan this past season...and no new "hit listers"....I found that interesting...

L.Thompson,

Your experiences are a perfect example of just how different bucks' "range fidelity" can be from location to location. I've seen properties where a summer inventory is all that is needed, with every buck easily captured on film, and little if any change in buck population occurring from summer to the hunting season. Yet, on the other hand, I've also seen properties that experience extrem variation in buck population/identity from summer to fall hunting season. I've even seen properties that experience a complete "swap" of bucks from summer to fall, with none of the bucks using the property during the hunting season being bucks that used the property in summer. Why these extremes in behavior exist is still a mystery to me.

But knowing whether bucks on your hunting property display strong fidelity to the area or not can be critical to hunting decisions.