So after doing some extensive reading over the last several days to confirm what I already knew was a problem, I thought I would share what I have found. I hope those that are truly concerned with their turkey population will use this too educate and motivate yourself to do something to help your turkeys moving forward. I have found numerous articles based off science/research that are pointing to a major contributor to the declining turkey population. I will post a few of these articles in this thread if y'all care to to read them. Specifically the MS MDWFP article shows a 40% to 60% nest failure solely from nest predators. If I recall, Dr. Turkey said his research was showing 80% nest failure, but failed to specially identify the cause. Let's say the MS MDWFP numbers are accurate based off their research, the lowest of their numbers (40%) show's at least half at a minimum of Dr. Turkey's 80% nest failure research is due to nest predators. On the high end of MDWP numbers (60%) that accounts for nearly a 3rd of Dr. Turkey's 80% of nest failure. With that said, I am at a loss of why this isn't be shared far and wide?? From what I have read, it's not popular within the general public for starters, it's not cost/time productive and it's not effective long term. Now I don't know what y'all think, but if I can reduce the risk by any amount that is one less predator I have to worry about eating a turkey egg for that laying period. Yeah, I will have to continue my trapping and annual removal, but I don't see any negatives to doing that. As I have said, it's not easy, it's gonna take up some of your time and it's gonna cost you some money. I can tell you fro a fact it does make a difference even on a small scale. For those that aren't already trapping I encourage each of you to do something to help your turkeys moving forward as the research shows it's a significant problem. I also encourage everyone to read these links posted below if you want some true facts and not some top secret research that only a select few are privileged to see.

https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunt...blame-predators-for-poor-turkey-habitat/

https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/predator/war-with-turkey-predators

https://www.nwtf.org/hunt/article/life-turkey-nest

https://www.nwtf.org/conservation/article/wild-turkeys-predators-problem

Now let's discuss habitat. I currently hunt a region of the state and property that you would be hard pressed to fill 20 log trucks with mature hardwoods on nearly 6000 acres. We do not have any hardwood to speak of. Our property is dominated by pine trees and as far as I know it has been like that for a long time. What we do have going for us is most of our timber is in the thinning stages and on a rotational burn program. The patch work burning before nesting is what makes the difference for us I suppose. We also plant clover in every single one of our food plots every year. There are some great annual varieties out now that have been strong fall and spring producers for us (Balasana Fixation & Frosty Berseem). We have chosen these varieties as our soil is very poor and it will not support the long term annual varieties through the heat of the summer. I simply find it hard to believe that pine plantations if managed properly will not support a thriving turkey population. The key words in that statement is (managed properly) as I am fully aware of what we have is not being done on a good majority of the pine plantations in our state. Actually I can name several timber companies that do not burn a percentage of their property and never have that I am aware of. That is a problem when it comes to improving habitat. So with that said, as land lessors our hands are tied when it comes to habitat improvements on a larger scale. There are things that can be done, but fire is relatively cheap when compared to the other things. I still encourage everyone to do a little project or two each year specifically tailored to helping your turkeys. There is some pretty good articles on line that can give you ideas of where to start, what to do and what not to do. Lastly if you lease or own private land reach out to the resources available and encourage your land owner to burn small sections annually. There is help available out there for these land owners if sought out. It might take you sitting down with the owner and spelling out the benefits while showing them the help that's available. It might not get you anywhere but you can at least say at the end of the day you put fourth the effort.

In closing it will be up to us individuals that lease and own private land to turn the tide. As many of us know the states current philosophy/vision has very little to due with managing the resources and wildlife. It's all about them $$$$$

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes to us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."