Originally Posted by treemydog
Case in point... when my 13 year old killed his really nice 11 pointer this year, I got a PM through the book of face from a neighboring landowner that saw the deer and recognized him from his cameras. He told me that he hunts multiple counties and typically only shoots 140s or better. We'll this 11 is under the 140 mark, but still a heckuva deer. My Neighbor was Guy B... and my son and I were A Guys... and we killed that deer before he got to my neighbor's standards. Does that make us the bad guys?

(coming from a primarily big buck hunter) Lord no! The dude who's hunting 140's in Alabama (heck, even 130's, or frankly even high 120's) is a crazy mofo. You can hunt your whole life, even be moderately successful and have an enjoyable hunting career, and never see a 140 in Alabama. An average "good buck" in Alabama is probably a 14'-15" eight point that'll dress 125-130 pounds, I'm going to shoot that deer most of the time. And this is really why I take such exception to the guys who get all pissy about the currrent DCNR staff trying to get a better hold on Alabama's deer, trying to increase the standards for Alabama's deer hunting. We ain't trying to become some dumb@#$@# trophy destination, nobody believes this is Saskatchewan. But damn, what's the point of shooting a yearling spike, or worse, a 12' wide 8pt that isn't much bigger than your yard dog??? Gee whiz fellas, I hunt public frickin' land and I see enough does every year to fill every cooler in my neighborhood if I wanted to. It's like you're missing some sort of competitive spirit when you'll shoot a pencil neck buck with basket rack. Like you're missing some common sense understanding of reasonable management. But again, I understand this is just coming from my worldview of how I was raised about deer hunting....deer hunting to me literally only exists for the thrill of the chase, it's ALL about the rush of a big rack (again, not a dadgum 140" buck, just a "good one" for Alabama). I cannot comprehend the emasculated view of hunting where you don't get a thrill from the sight of a big buck, therefore I cannot comprehend the dude who shoots the tiny basket buck ("for meat") and lessens his opportunities of seeing that buck later when he's bigger. Also, I cannot comprehend the man who only hunts truly giant bucks (I need more gratification, more often than that! LOL)

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.