Originally Posted by outdoors1
Originally Posted by booner
For those of y’all that have small acreage. What’s your secret? I just grabbed two 300 acre parcels that have a history of having some pretty good deer on them. I’m looking for some suggestions on what y’all are doing on your small pieces to be productive year after year.

One piece is 50/50 planted pine and hardwoods with thick swamps. The other is an overgrown pasture with pockets of thickets throughout and has an 80 acre cedar thicket dead center of the pasture.

My primary plan for these leases is to limit pressure and human activity to a bare minimum. This will be a park and walk from gate scenario and only hunted when everything is right. Since I will be the only one with access, this shouldn’t be an issue. Especially since I have other places to hunt as well. Pretty much opening weekend a couple times and don’t show back up until rut for a few hunts.

Since picking these up, I have resurrected their food plots, placed stands and limed according to soil data. Since the plots are relatively small I won’t be doing any summer planting but I’m entertaining the idea of placing gravity feeders for protein/supplements during the spring and summer. How many would y’all recommend per acre, if any?

Another point that all the folks I talk to keep saying is FEEDERS, FEEDERS, FEEDERS!! Everyone is screaming that every plot should have a working feeder on it year round. Personally I feel this might be counterintuitive to trying to limit my presence on the properties. Those of you that run them on small property. What have you seen as the pros and cons? I have the resources to place as much as one per 50 acres but I’m a little apprehensive to get that extreme with them.

Any suggestions or tips will be appreciated.

Booner, What county?

Wilcox and Butler