Originally Posted by whack-n-stack
What pisses me off is people raising money for DU and DW for them to spend it all up north on habitat improvement, then people wonder why they won't come south.

I've never seen them putting out wood duck boxes or improving habitat here in Alabama. They may well do it, but I haven't seen it. It'd be nice if we could have a bigger local population of ducks.

The above is one reason I quit my membership years ago. They treated Alabama like we did not exist with state monies raised going out west to the prairie pothole regions.

I was on Etowah Co. committee for 2 years back before the decline of the banquets. First year I was in we raised over $30K and that had never happened before. We used unconventional tactics like "you sell this many corporate adds, you get a xxx shotgun". Big prize was a SBE, DU Alabama man Doug Lasher found out about this and threw a chit fit. He said you cannot represent DU in this fashion all monies raised goes to corporate and you cannot go outside banquet packages bla bla hipocrite he was. Well, night of the banquet he was there hanging out at the front door constantly asking what the intake was. Money got redirected by someone to take care of the shotguns owed to members who sold the adds. Someone in our group pimped to him the following week and all hell broke loose but president of chapter had already paid for the guns. Doug tried to somehow figure a way to get them in trouble but finally gave up. If I remember right, I was told at one time Alabama DU Chairman's salary is based off banquet success.