Originally Posted by BayedUp
Originally Posted by ALMODUX
Exceptions ain’t the rule, and pressure is pressure......and turkeys are a helluva lot more sensitive.

I have a guy come coon hunt my place during turkey season every year when I’m there and kill gobbling turkeys the next morning.

Coons do a lot more damage to the turkey population than a coon dog a couple nights a week do. To each their own but I don’t have time to trap so the next best thing is shooting them out over a good coon dog.

I’m not sure you’re comprehending the issue: it’s not ‘damage to the turkey population’, it’s pressure and disturbance on roost....too much, too often, and they move to the roost area without coon dogs running all night. I’d rather have rabbit hunters a day or two a week, as coon dogs a night or two a week. Over 40 years of hunting stuff, I’ve never seen a coon problem (for turkeys) that wasn’t easily handled without a bunch of dogs at night. I’m all for coon hunting....just not during any other hunting season where I’m trying to hunt everything else. My opinion and 40 years of anecdotal experience and land/game work is at least the equal of any coon hunter, rabbit hunter, etc.....it’s your $ and time. It’s my $ and time. Then again, I’ve never seen coon hunting on a deer turkey club, that didn’t disturb hell and half of Georgia, shoot deer at night, turkeys off the roost, and then deny it.....so, I’m probably jaded.

Last edited by ALMODUX; 02/07/21 08:00 PM.