Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Originally Posted by jbatey1

Originally Posted by outdoors1
I wish there was a track of land never cut I could see. We do need to protect some of the Oak forest to see what they will look like un-cut in 150 years and maybe some areas of the Longleaf pines. You can't really put a price on preserving nature or our water.

I don't know how long ago or if ever, but a chunk of a couple hundred acres under our South bluff hasn't been logged that I know of. If it was, it had to of been well over 100+ years. There's oak trees in there that look like they are 150ft tall and big enough around that 3 men may couldn't reach around them. It's wild walking through that, every thing is huge, Huge tree's, huge limestome, huge bluff walls. I always feel like I'm back in time when I go through it for some reason.

Even though you hear the term "virgin timber" often , there's not alot of true virgin hardwood forest acres left. However, there's still some that the last cutting was right after WWII well before mechanized equipment. Back in the days of skidding with mules and on site sawmills they didn't cut the really big timber , they couldn't handle it. Nowdays if it grows, crazy hillbillies on skidders will get it. If they can't a helicopter can if it's good enough.

If it's really old and really big , when you're finished cutting what needs cutting , it'll look like a clear cut. It may not be pretty but those big settlement checks will be.

I’d like to know for the heck of it when or if it has been logged, but wouldn’t know if there are even ways to figure that out. My wife’s grandfather doesn’t remember of it being logged in his memory. He’s late 80’s but honestly probably wouldn’t of paid attention to it until he was back living in this area several years post Vietnam. So WW2 era is possible.

It would have to look wildly different. Most trees in there are too big to get a summit on. A man could walk around aimlessly trying to find a tree to climb. Once he found one he could go strait up as far up as he wanted, though.

The fool tells me his reasons; the wise man persuades me with my own.