Originally Posted by Antlerfluke
Of course I was kidding about the gum trees and cattle... I think they'll consume a gum tree sapling in a second but I would not think cattle is the answer to a gum infested stand of pines.

I'm really not focusing on controlling sweetgums as being the main issue here.....Managing soil organic matter is the heart of what I getting at......What is the average percentage of OM in the soil across your property in the top 8-10 inches of soil where deer forage is being produced?.......What if you go out there and measure it and find out that you're actually running less than 2% or something of that nature and I tell you that you have the potential to triple your potential by growing that OM to 5-6%.......That is the whole idea here.....We are managing the soil on a landscape level....It is true that you cant change the base component of each soil type.....sand is gonna be sand and clay is gonna be clay.....However, you can drastically change the amount of humus or soil organic matter that is present in the soil which has significant impacts on forage growth

Last edited by CNC; 12/09/20 11:39 AM.

We dont rent pigs