Originally Posted by ScentFreeHunter
Originally Posted by Mbrock
Increased body weights, increased fawn recruitment, more intense rutting behavior and day light observations of bucks. That’s it wrapped up in one sentence.

This. We started managing 10+ years ago and I have hunted the property for 25+ years. For the first 15 years, hardly any does were taken and every buck with a spike on their head was shot. It was nothing to see 10-15 and even 20 does on every sit and you could hunt the entire season and see 2 or 3 bucks. Management started with biologist recommendation of taking 50 does the first year, which we came close to doing (it's a large piece of property). Then 35 the next year, 25 the year after that. We also put in a rule that bucks must be 4.5 years old to be taken. Was slow on buck harvest those first few years, but the long-term results have been WELL worth it. We now have a very well balanced heard, I see bucks nearly every time I hunt, and it is not unusual to see 4 or 5 bucks on a sit during the rut. During those first 15 years, I never saw a buck that was harvested that was over 175 lbs or over 125 inches. Now we kill bucks every year over 200 lbs and have killed 6 bucks over 140 inches in the last 6 years, with 2 of them over 150 inches. I used to think grunting and rattling from the stand was a waste of time, something you only saw work on some hunting video. Now I regularly call in bucks during the rut because we have a much higher number of bucks and the higher number causes much more intense competition for the does.

The formula is pretty simple: reduce the doe numbers and let the bucks walk until they are mature. Once you reach a more natural buck/doe ratio, cut the doe harvest down to a reasonable number to maintain the balance. Endure the low buck harvest for the first few years and then enjoy the fruits of your patience!

Pretty obvious why y’all didn’t see any bucks those first 15 years. They all got shot when they was 18 months old. I guess y’all eventually figured that out since you quit killing them.

If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough.