Most i have seen is 4 at once and every time i see one they are gone. Maybe i'm uglier than i thought. When i have heard them at night howling i always assumed there was a pack together and maybe they are but a couple years ago i was in a clear cut when one started up at dark. Immediately 3-4 responded to that one but every one was maybe 1-200 yds from the first. I could tell where they were. It was like they were just checking to see where the others were at. the first two were maybe 100yds up the hill from the first but those two were 50 yds from each other. Then a 3rd was maybe 75 yds from the middle two. From a few hundred yards away one would assume they were all howling and together but i noticed they were spread out a max of 300 yds from the farthest two.

Several years ago i was walking to a stand in the dark. Saw eye up ahead in the trail and they weren't moving. I assumed a opossum at first. Kept walking with my headlamp on and walked up on a huge bobcat just sitting there on a log crouched. I was within 6ft and i stopped trying to figure why he hadn't ran off. My first thought was he was rabid and might attack but he did not look scared. I took my pistol out and pointed it at him. I guess the headlamp blinded him so i turned the light on me so he could see what i was. He about killed himself blowing out of there.