Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by jwalker77
Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by jwalker77
Throw and mow is for sura an acquired taste. I've got a great stand of pretty green oats growing out of 8inch high bushhog stubble. The feeds there but it sure looks weird with all them sticks standing in it. Trade off for the time and wear and tear on my equipment I saved, I can look at sticks. I just hope the deer don't poke their eyes out trying to eat their oats.

You sound like a convert!...... laugh

I have been enlightened somewhat but I'll still break ground in some instances.

Most certainly......The key is knowing "when" to do "what" instead of only following any single cookie cutter method.....

Might be the smartest thing I’ve heard you say. Most of the time it’s “my way is the only way”. That being said we picked up a lease on land that was mined 100 years ago by steam shovel. The entire area is nothing but spoil piles and pretty much ZERO topsoil. We ended up doing the throw and mow on a couple of spots with pretty good results. It would be virtually impossible to drill or disc any of these spots due to VW sized rocks right at the surface of the soil. We seeded VERY heavy, as in 3-400lbs/acre but we used cheap seed (feed wheat and oats). I’m pleased with the outcome (it’s green) but doesn’t have near the diversity I prefer having in a food plot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by joshm28; 11/25/20 10:05 PM.