About a month ago I acquired a center console Ranger. I then became obsessed with catching stripers. To date, I can't even start to tell you what I have spent on tackle, accessories, rods, reels with line counters, planer boards, live bait, etc etc and I still haven't hung much less boated a striper. I have tried trolling with devices that take your bait down to a designated depth 10 20 30 even 40 feet. Tried artificial and live bait, nothing. Watched one of the local charters load about 52 and 37 stripers each day. Went to that exact location and did not see but one or two large fish on Helix 10. I don't yet have the GPS trolling motor that can hover over an specific location but expect it have it installed within the week. The guy I bought the boat from had one ordered already and agreed to put it on. But short of dropping dynamite off the boat, I just don't know what to try next. I have convinced my wife to just give the stripe fishing a break and focus on catching a few spots and that I have no problem with as we have really enjoyed catching a few these past few weeks. But I know me and my determination to catch those stripers will return and I will likely continue being the coyote while they are the roadrunner. I feel like I have looked at enough pics and video trying to learn how to read the Helix that I would immediately recognize a school of stripers. My problem is that have not been able to find them. If I ever do, I think I have everything required to catch the damn things other than actually saying a caught one.

I had a friend tell me to change my set up on the down rigging to a pencil weight, red ball, leader and 4-5 feet fluorocarbon line with 1/0 hook. Did that same results. I know in order to catch them I have to find them so I guess that is the primary problem. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. My daughter went as far as to buy me a charter trip with the guide I spoke of but I am waiting to take that when my Dad can join us.

"Don't cling to Mistake, just because you spent a lot of time making it."