Originally Posted by Broadhead26
Originally Posted by daylate
If you ever remove a pinned and welded barrel attachment from a firearm that is not registered with the NFA and has a barrel less than 16" then you will instantly be in posession of an SBR while it is off. That is why they are permanent. Silly as heck, but that's the law as it was explained to me.

I mean, that kind of makes sense. You’re in possession of a functional rifle with a barrel less than the 16”. It’s not different than chopping a barrel of a 18” down to 10”. It changes the classification of that rifle.

Plot twist: just put a pistol brace on it (while they are still legal).

Second plot twist....that is in no way, shape, or form legal if the lower was originally designated as a rifle..

From a legal standpoint, by removing the pinned and welded attachment, you have turned a legal rifle into an illegal SBR. You can't turn an SBR into a pistol by putting a brace on it b/c the weapon was originally designed as a rifle. Instead, you have simply turned your NFA SBR (which it became the instant the attachment was removed) into a "weapon made from a rifle," which is still regulated by the NFA.

Hard and fast rule...if a lower was originally designated as a rifle, it will always be a rifle in your possession in the eyes of the NFA....unless you apply for a SBR tax stamp (in which case it's still a "rifle").

"You think I care? Roll Damn Tide"

Have you tried Google?