Originally Posted by Atoler
Originally Posted by Coosa1
I don’t think my getting drawn so many times was due to not having preference points since they just started really doing think last year. I don’t know what was up with it, it was like the system just chose the same people year after year. One of the guys that worked one of the hunts I went on even said it wasn’t just me, that he saw the same groups of people year after year. Whatever glitch it was causing me to get drawn is fixed now....and I hate it lol

They’ve been doing the points for 3 years. And the guy working the hunt is right, there are a lot of people who have drawn multiple times.

If the DNR employee who told me about the system was giving accurate info, then there is no way that pool reserved for no preference points doesn’t have better odds than the larger pool.

But no matter how it’s happening, it’s bull. They aren’t transparent at all about how the drawing works, and there should never be a possibility of people drawing nearly every year, while 9/10 applicants have never drawn. Every other state I’ve hunted with a draw is very simple. You need a certain amount of points to ensure you get drawn. If you apply, no one with less points will draw ahead of you. In Georgia it was nice, the wma I liked to hunt was a 2-3 year wait. On the 3rd year, I would get drawn and could plan for it ahead of time. If I wanted to go somewhere sooner, I could apply for a less desirable hunt with 1 point and draw. Or if I wanted to be real patient, I could wait 7 or 8 years and draw one that was awesome. But it was all above board. None of this back room chit, that has you two weeks from deer season with no unit assignments or a scouting day announced.

This, yes. Yes, a million times yes.

I've looked at draws in other states. While I haven't applied, I've examined and looked in case I wanted to. And it's pretty straightforward. Apply, earn a point, maybe in 3-4-7 or more years depending on the unit and animal, you get drawn. Then you start over. And you can plan for it, by knowing there will be no backroom or questionable BS and after x years you'll get drawn with 4 or 7 or 15 points.

And yet here we are with a questionable draw system, BS regulations about "game check" in which processors are now agents of the state, a phone app that may work - perhaps, maybe, sorta, possibly - and we're less than 10 days from the start of deer season.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020