Originally Posted by Clem

Wambaw, how many gobblers y'all got struttin' around now that they've been protected and stockpiled with the reduction?

Should be a sho'nuff shitshow of mature gobblers over there by now.

I feel like the quality of the hunting has little to do with the changes. They went from March 15 - May 1 with a limit of 5 to March 22 - May 5 and a limit of 3. Only 1 can be killed from March 22-31.

The upstate went from April 1 - May 1 with a limit of 5 to April 1 - May 10 with a limit of 3. Only 1 can be killed from April 1 - 9.

Only 1 may be killed a day now, whereas it used to be 2 a day.

I think overall there are lower numbers than there were 20 years ago. I don't think numbers would be any different if they had left the season structure alone. The hunting is still pretty good. I know we have alot less habitat and a pile more people hunting now.

I personally lost a pile of prime land. At one time, I had a 4500 acre tract I hunted by myself for free. It was rough times I tell ya. I still have multiple tracts and hunt WMA but it was sure enough good times 20 years ago. That 4500 acre tract is now a neighborhood. Development of hunting land into residential areas is a big problem in my area. The public land is still good.

They are saying that too many gobblers are killed in the first part of the season and it is disrupting breeding. I understand the concept, but if that is the case, then why were numbers so high in the 90's through 2012 or so when you could legally kill 5 the first 3 days of the season. And people were doing it.

I honestly think there is just too many people trying to hunt now.