There are certainly other aspects of wildlife management to consider when looking at a coyote’s role in the bigger picture. For instance. if a particular landowner were looking to increase sustainable yield produced for the purposes of hunter and/or landowner satisfaction…..then trapping and reducing predator populations would definitely make sense. It’s also suspected that pressure from coyotes checking for the weak and wounded may have a significant impact on deer behavior when it becomes too intense. There may certainly be a place for reducing their populations down to a more moderate level on some properties in order to reduce stress from the herd….especially during fawning season and hunting season. I dont believe we're going to eliminate the coyote from the equation though...nor do we want to.... I believe there’ s a balance to be found instead of an all or nothing approach that labels the coyotes as bad in every landowners mind.....no different than painting a broad brush across all native vegetation as bad "weeds"…..I believe it would benefit everyone for the public to have a better understanding of their role and how predator prey relationships function. Its my opinion that an all or nothing approach simply labeling him as "bad" could cause unintended negative consequences for other properties and management situations when looking at the bigger picture.....such as areas where mob grazing might be practiced and hunter harvest not a significant factor. In this situation you would rely on the yote to insure the habitat and vegetation remained vibrant and productive for the other aspects of multiple land use land management. As it is now you have people going to lengths such as poisoning and using grease soaked foam to try and eliminate yotes. I hear what you’re saying though so I’ll concede my position and maybe we can revisit it in the future

Last edited by CNC; 09/08/20 02:54 PM.

We dont rent pigs