Originally Posted by hallb
Originally Posted by Atoler
Originally Posted by hallb
Originally Posted by BhamFred
the turkey population is a lot of Alabama has been going down for 40 years due to habitat loss and predators, way before fanning or decoys became popular. Decoys run off as many or more turkeys than they attract.

Some areas that had low or no turkeys 40 years ago may of had increases, but I believe the net number is a loss across the state.

But Fred, many on here will tell you the turkey populations are as strong as ever and there is no scientific research that says anything should change with regards to the season/rules/limits b/c of population. I personally think otherwise and have the very unpopular position that the 5 bird limit should be dropped to 3. And yes, I know that there's bad asses on here that hunt whenever they want and shoot whatever they want, so in that case the regulations shouldn't concern them anyways.

You’re from florida? Riddle me this....... the state you live in has a 2 bird limit, why are they experiencing the same population decline ? I’ll wait for your answer..........

I don't keep up with hunting in Florida too much but if turkey populations are on the decline, does that mean we should just WTF it and blast away?? Just b/c there are other factors affecting population decline besides hunting(predation, human sprawl into habitat, etc), doesn't mean you just shouldn't do anything. The fact that you admit there is population decline is justification enough for me for lower limits. FL doesn't have near the population of turkey as Alabama, probably 1/5 the number nor does it have the same amount of turkey habitat - not to mention the majority are a completely different breed of turkey than what AL has. Also, FL has 4 times the population of people as AL in general - way more human sprawl into what turkey habitat there is or was. So yeah, I get it, hunting is just one factor, doesn't mean you just say F it.

It’s a belief of mine, as well as many others, that spring gobbler harvest has no correlation to population trends. Nest success controls that. Contrary to your opinion, I believe there to be positive impacts of a higher limit. Those would be a greater motivation for landowners and hunters to manage habitat, trap predators, and spotlight turkeys as an animal that people are concerned about.

There are tons of states experiencing a decline, their limit and season structures vary from 1 bird and a couple of weeks, to Alabama’s liberal limits. If hunter harvest had an affect, why are those states not seeing a positive impact?

If someone wants to produce some research supporting gobbler harvest having a negative impact on populations I’ll listen. Until then, I won’t advocate to change a system that has been wildly successful for 60 years, simply because people like you start throwing darts hoping something works.