The American Cocker and the English don't have a lot in common anymore. I've never been around Americans.

I'm supposed to pick up a field bred English Cocker puppy Saturday. This will be my second, as my 11-year-old is getting a little stiff.
As the previous post said, an English Cocker is basically a small Springer. I've been on a dove field with 5-6 Cockers working, and they are a blast to watch. The quail plantations will keep one on the wagon as a retriever/flushing dog for singles.
Wonderful personality. Work all day, and wants to curl up on your lap at night. Not a kennel dog. Wants to be part of the family. Very biddable, trains best with positive reinforcement. If you get one out the field bred lines, they are fairly high energy. I still walk mine 3-4 miles every morning. He also sits in a deer stand with me and watches deer., then does a pretty good job tracking. My brother has sent his after ducks, but with a 25-35 lb body weight, I'd be careful of putting one in cold water too much.
There tend to be a good many of those dogs with breeders in S GA/SE AL, as the plantations have been using them for a good many years now. Emily Williams at Kinchafonee Kennels has bred a lot of good ones. Rex Clark at High Log Creek has a British bred stud that is in demand, and usually knows where some good litters will be.

Used to be a lifeguard, until that blue kid got me fired.