so ... i've been curious about roasting my own coffee at home for quite a while -- researched & watched hours of YouTube videos on using air popcorn poppers, Whirley Pop hand-cranked popcorn poppers on the stovetop, blah blah blah ... finally stumbled onto a method that I was comfortable with -- mostly 'cause it's a scaled down convection-style "drum" roaster where the machine & heat source are fairly constant & "do all the work" ... acquired the bread maker last Friday & roasted up a few small 4 oz batches over the wkend, just to get a feel for how this all works ... the 2 beans i decided to attempt first are Costa Rica & Guatemala -- both came out surprisingly well ... scored a Fluke IR thermometer off eBay over the wkend that should arrive & help me determine temps more easily (vs completely winging it) ...

you have to mod the bread maker to remove the temp sensors off the bread pan 'cause it'll throw an error & stop the blade from turning if it over-heats -- hence the foil "appendage" on the outside of the machine; i also removed the wires from the built-in heating element as that's not needed either ... the whole machine I got is plastic so I also foil-wrapped the top to create a make-shift heat shield, as well ... put the machine in dough mode, drop the beans in, and hit it with the heat gun & monitor ... pretty much, that's all there is to it ... so far, i've been surprised at the results ...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

turn the volume down 'cause the music is ghey - but this video will show you how it's done:

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.