I have owned several and know quite a bit about them. The one I currently have I built from a junked frame and body. You can’t use stock motors, controllers, battery cables, solenoid or suspension if you want a cart that will truly operate as an off-road UTV with the ability to get you most places. They are not a substitute for a 4 wheeler in my opinion. I own both. Gas power for work, hauling and long distance use. Electric for light foot print and killing the heck out of stuff.

Nothing more deadly on a turkey. Nothing.

I suggest an ezgo cart. (2 options : series cart or PDS) I prefer the PDS cart as I can control the braking of the cart on declines with the regen brake. Important In hill country
Plum quick motors. I run a crocodile
Alltrax 600 and up controller
Contacting switch vs solenoid
2ga or larger battery cable wires. I use welding cables.
Alltrax control switch (necessary to custom control regen on motor)
Make sure this is all on a 48 volt or 72 volt system.
I have coil over shocks and springs I rear end and about to install an independent suspension on the front
A good charger is also a must. The ones that come with stock carts are crap- I use an onboard charger that just plug up an extension cord
Trojan or US Golf batteries are the best and will last you longer that others
Lots of extra fun stuff hanging of the cart

My cart will pull the front wheels off the ground when you hit the gas. I personally will never go without another one.