Originally Posted by centralala
I've met him a few times but was just a greeting and move on. Didn't really know him. Him getting left in Alaska back then I don't think was that unusual. I knew a guy named Jim Varsos (stage name was Hobo Jim) who with a friend got left for several months because the pilot crashed and died after dropping them off and no one knew where they where. He talked of eating baby otters and the swelling from mosquito bites.

Wayne planned an Alaska backcountry trip and scheduled a guy to fly him in and then pick him up.

Being smart, as Wayne is, he took a backpack with some emergency kit but not enough for two weeks. He had maps, firestarter and a few other things. After being dropped off and determining his camp, he discovered his bags were filled with garbage and not his gear. He realized the guy had snookered him but at the time was unsure why, and also held faint (tiny, fleeting) hope that he'd return at the planned-upon date.

Wayne made do as best he could. The site was in the middle of nowhere on a lake and not in any flight paths. He knew at some point he would have to do something if he didn't see anyone or any planes. With his maps, he determined he had a couple dozen miles at least to make it to the best spot for a possible rescue. That was his only and best chance.

The day before he planned to begin his walkout, he heard a plane. Somehow the guy saw Wayne and landed on the water. They both were amazed to see each other, as the pilot had gotten off course and then noticed Wayne's signals. They flew back and, as Wayne told me, he planned to kill the guy who did it. I suspect in Alaska at that time no one would've said boo about that because leaving a man to die in the backcountry was (and still is) a crappy thing to do.

Got back and found out the skeezy pilot had skirted off with his (and others') money because he was dying. Wanted to party with women, booze and whatever else in a final hurrah.

It still ticks him off. Dude left him to die.

This is his cabin book - https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Dream-Cabin-Woods-ebook/dp/B0056GXI8E

His others also are on Amazon -https://www.amazon.com/J-Wayne-Fears/e/B001HOIFOQ/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020