Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by roadkill
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

So what is the advantage of a kayak for fishing over a flat bottom aluminum? I have made many trips down our creeks in a flat bottom with a comfortable seat and have never flipped one.

Kayaks are narrower and can get into places you would have difficulty going in a flat bottom boat. Thay are also much faster (unless of course you have a motor) than a flat bottom aluminum. They are also lighter and much easier transported. A kayak can go all day in 6" of water. Can also slide it over logs and stuff in a creek. No question about a flat bottom boat being more stable and comfortable though. Sort of like comparing a motorcycle to a pick up truck. I've rolled mine several times and and except for the one instance I was sliding over a beaver dam it was when I was getting in or out.

That all sounds reasonable. But floating down stream, I can't see that the kayak being faster is worth much. I guess if you were moving up stream it would help a lot.

Somewhere round the half way point u have have to go back

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Ben Franklin