Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Originally Posted by CNC
I want to get me a good heavy duty finishing mower that discharges the cuttings neatly out the back.....That's way better suited for this than a bushhog....Probably gonna sell or trade my Hustler zero turn and get one soon.

I’m actually dragging thatch more then mowing now. I can’t get a even coverage of bush hogged thatch.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing last year. I experimented with just broadcasting which worked fine in my conditions but I couldn't see the deer because the standing veg was too thick. I ended up just using my front end loader in reverse and pressing it down.....One of these little roller crimpers suited for a 4 wheeler or small tractor would be the bee's knees for just pressing a crop down like you're talking about. The only problem with dragging is that stuff will pop back up on you. The roller/crimper puts a crimp into the stalk and terminates it.....put its down for good. They'll be new things like this that will emerge eventually that'll help this method out. It'll always be possible to do it with as little as you choose though as long as you have the knowledge of the principles.

[Linked Image]

They used something very similar in the old days to break up corn stalks. Probably thousands of them sitting out in the woods or been taken to the scrapyard