Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
One item that definitely impacted the harvest in a negative way was the explosion of the bull gnat population in south AL. I know if several hunters that didn't put forth much hunting effort in some places because of them, and I was one of them. I usually hunt a lot in Perry county, but I hunted just 2 mornings there this year. I got eaten up so bad opening day that my family convinced me I had the shingles. It did look like it. I will have to find some kind of netting before next year. That's assuming that they don't announce that turkey numbers are so low that they have to cancel the season.

https://shannonoutdoors.com/p/double-guard-bug-tamer-plus-headnet-with-face-shield/

This is what I have used for the past 4 years, it's the only headnet that works on mosquitoes and bull gnats. I wear a fedora style hat to keep it off my ears and it's a little cooler that way, but it can be worn over a baseball style hat. Before the gnats wake up in the morning I don't wear it but once they start their feeding frenzy it goes on and stays on until I get back to the vehicle. Otherwise I wouldn't turkey hunt or do anything outside in the part of the world I hunt in.

Last edited by Fun4all; 05/08/20 08:44 PM.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope