I had a discussion earlier with someone and the comparison to the flu was mentioned. Now, i will flat out and up front admit that I had no idea that the death rate from flu was as high as it is here in the states with what I would consider good healthcare in general. I brought up the fact that I have a friend who works at a bank (which is still operating with drive through and calls ahead for an appt if absolutely necessary) and she is a single mom with a daughter who has cystic fibrosis. She is not in a position to be able to just take an extended leave and not work. She desperately wants people to consider others when deciding whether they need to be out and about. I completely understand her position. When the comparison to flu was mentioned, my response was that the most vulnerable of the population have the option of getting the vaccination for the flu along with their families and that this virus had no vaccine. Sure, there are statistics showing the numbers of deaths from various things that are higher than the current deaths from this virus, but half of those other things are actually preventable in one way or another.

I think that is the thing lots of people don't take into consideration when making that comparison.

As for me, maybe it would just be better if everyone assumed everyone else had something contagious and took appropriate measures to protect themselves.

And, I have to say that as I was on my way to my physical therapy appt, which is the only place I have gone now in several days that I have been out of my car, the parking lot where the Tractor Supply, Pic-N-Sav grocery store and Marvin's Building Supply was dang near full. I was talking to my mom over the bluetooth in my car and made the comment that at some point I would need to get some things from the store, but that I really did not want to go when so many other people were there. I guess there are lots of people that are just not worried about catching this or don't think it will be that bad for them. But, I sit on the fence between optimism and pessimism with a little tilt toward the latter.

I do know I will be glad when things get back to normal...if they ever do.

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.---Winnie the Pooh