Originally Posted by CB1
Guys if you are hunting in Washington or Clarke county beware the bull gnats are horrible this year. I know of several people who have lost chickens to the gnats. I was in Mobile yesterday and didn't have an issue with the gnats. How far north until you get away from them blood suckers

I hunted this weekend in Wilcox, and have to admit that the gnats won the battle on Saturday. I had a face mask on, with Deet spray on my face and clothes, but at around 7:00 I was surrounded by the little buggers. They got in my ears, my nose, my eye (literally had to pick about six of them out of my eyeball--never had that happen before), my mouth (I ate several of them while walking). Could not hear anything but the bugs. At 8:00, my young son told me he couldn't take it anymore, so we headed in. I hunted later that afternoon, but went inside a box on a field and got two Thermocells going. That seemed to keep them out of the box, but of course I heard and saw no turkeys.

Crappy thing about this was that it got colder on Sunday morning and we were on some gobblers, but we had some nasty storms with lightening roll through around 8:00 in the morning and had to abandon the hunt.

We'll try again next week. Hopefully those gnats have a VERY short lifespan.