I used to adjust the top part mid tree but never could adjust the bottom, but now i just pick a different tree or sit on the ground.

One time I made the brilliant decision to unhook my feet from the bottom part trying to get over a large knot in the tree, the plan was to unhook and use the rope that connects the two pieces to pull the bottom part over the knot since i could get a better angle while my feet were not hooked in. I lowered the bottom part as far as i could and due to the angle it got stuck on the tree. It was too far down for my feet to reach it anymore so that was a fun 10-15 min figuring out what to do with no safety harness on. I finally got the nerve to swing my legs over the rail of the top part and tarzan my way onto a smaller pine and basically slide down it like a pole at a fire station. I then had to getting a running start and jump and hang on to the bottom part still attached to the tree, pull myself up and reach up and grab the top part and slowly get back down the tree. Now that i have kids i use a safety harness when i climb and i mainly sit on the ground and have actually really enjoyed the flexibility of ground hunting.

I did learn another important lesson that day, make sure the rope tied between the two pieces is not too long. Just because it catches the bottom part while falling does not guarantee you can use that rope to pull it back up. The angle becomes too severe and you are screwed if you can not reach it with your feet.