Originally Posted by jmudler
Originally Posted by stuball
No need to cut it, also do not shake the can, stir it, shaking will put a bunch of air bubbles which will transfer to you wood. Brush it on, I personal get a decent soft brush to put mine on. Tip for the brush, between use, zip loc bag and put in fridge.

For you guys that use 220 don’t you find it leaves scratches in it? I usually use 0000 steel wool and never had an issue. I used the 220 lightly, wiped really good and reapplied and had scratches.

I dont like steel wool because it sheds and get buried in the poly. Never again

Like mudler said, steel wool will leave steel shavings in it. Stick with the 220 which is what is recommended on the back of the can. You could probably go to a higher grit but I haven’t played with that. You don’t sand the last coat. The scratches will be covered and filled with each coat. The scratches are necessary to smooth each layer and add something for the new layer to adhere to. A lot of folks will polish the final coat to make it pop. End result should look like glass or an epoxy cover over the product. Usually takes me between 5 to 6 coats to do it and do it right.

Last edited by Forrestgump1; 02/23/20 10:45 PM.