I admit I haven't read every page of this thread, and I admit that I am assuming the original poster actually was a DCNR employee as represented, not someone just trying to stir the pot.

that said, asking an internet forum what they think of the State DCNR is not going to get you any kind of valid results. You need to have a lot more information from a more diverse group than you have here.

For me personally, however, and since you asked, I am wholly disgusted with the amount of public land DCNR has allowed to drop out of the WMA system without replacing it. SOAs don't get it. How do they expect people to get into hunting, when there is no where for the public to hunt for free like you used to be able to? this is particularly true in SW Alabama. I've even asked what DCNR is doing to replace it, and gotten very few answers. It's really, really disappointing.

Further, I'm pretty disappointed with the level of enforcement funded. This is actually not a criticism of individual GWs. It's past time for Alabama to hire more GWs, in fact. Where I am, enforcement is virtually nonexistent. You have one or two GWs covering multiple counties. It's just impossible for them to do that.

Otherwise, I would give our DCNR good marks. They generally listen to what people want, and try to do what they can with the limited scientific information they have (again, lack of funding). This is true on the hunting and fishing side. I've interacted with the fishing guys, and they also do a good job.

If I could do one thing in Alabama for DCNR, I would double the number of enforcement officers - both on land, and on our waters.

Last edited by ALFisher; 02/13/20 06:34 PM.