Originally Posted by sgtred
Former employee just retired after 30 years, would like to know what hunters think about the current direction of the Dept,and what changes to the laws and how the GWs operate. What kind of grade would you give from 1 to 10.

IMO, and that's all its is, I would give Montgomery a 1. That's because I'm feeling real generous tonight. The GW, those 2 per county (supposedly) I would probably give them an 8. That's just the ones I know. There could be plenty I don't know that would bring the number down. I get the feeling there is a divide between those 2 per county and Montgomery also.

The law changes I would make would go back to Jan 31 ending deer season in North zone and Turkey season set on March 15 unless that falls on Sunday.

But away from the laws is where HUGE changes are needed. Sykes needs to be gone. No 2 ways about it, he's a liability now. Plenty other attitude adjustments needed in Montgomery. Deer would no longer be managed by the whole state but smaller sections, like maybe 4 sections to start with. Would try to find a way to encourage squirrel and rabbit hunting to youths. That's a dieing sports that needs the youth and the youth need to experience it. Would get the people more involved in game management or at least have programs available such as going out with biologist and helping them. Go back to ride-along with GWs. I could go on and on but the DCNR and the people have to come back together. But that's not happening until there is a big change in Montgomery.