someone trying to break in your house is my question. Long read but stay with me if you can. Maybe this has happened to you?

Let me explain what happened to me and my family, and then tell me what your approach would be. This past Monday morning at 1:30am we had a little situation at my house. Sometimes I snore at night, and when I do my wife heads to the other bedroom on the other end of the house, where my son sleeps, same side of house as the master bedroom where I was sleeping. So, Im laying there asleep and I hear what I felt like was four taps to the bedroom window (kinda like a finger nail tapping glass...just a gentle tap, tap, tap, tap and nothing else). I opened my eyes and layed there for few seconds, and knew this is not good, then my dog at the foot of bed started barking and raising hell. I knew something was wrong, and son and wife were at the other end of the house as mentioned above. I got out bed half asleep, disoriented looking for my shoes when my wife walks in our master bedroom scared to death, and said someone tapped on her window, and then she said she could tell they were trying push and open the window. Long story short, I saw no one on my property once outside. I was outside till 4:30am but I know someone was there.

What do you think the taping on the window was for? Do you think when they heard the dog that caused them to leave?

Do you walk outside in the cover of dark without a flashlight trying to find the bastard or with flashlight showing off your position? Seriously.

Do you go outside with your pistol or shotgun in the dark and you can't see chit ?

Night vision appartus? Dont know and never thought about till this week.

I have alot things running through my head right now, and very angry that my wife is sad, and my 13 yr old son knows something is up but I have not told him yet. Hell, he and buddies camp behind the house all the time.

I did file a report with the Sheriffs Department, and told them I wanted a paper trail in case something ever happens, and was told that was a good idea ( I hope it was). I have lived here for 15 yrs on this small farm, and never once had a problem or anything stolen. The Sheriff knew the property I lived on so that made me feel better.

I had motion lighting installed today that covers the sides of all doors and windows which is much better than what I had. I have a few other questions but I think said enough.

Any comments about the questions above would be great if you care to share.