Originally Posted by Remington270
It's interesting how many people think people in Alabama are so different from other states. Isn't Kentucky's system the same call-in type system? At some point you have to use the data, or quit requiring people report it.

Other states use a similar and/or same system. I've checked deer in Ohio, Kansas and Oklahoma with similar phone-check systems. It's easy when it works correctly and there are no bugs, hacks or problems.

The issue is a generational shift of going from "we trust you to do the right thing" to a mandated "do this, we know what's best, we need data for management, do this now." Combining that with the typical distrust for "government" along with the ease of skirting the check system and some other things that have transpired in the last 8-10 years, it's not a suprise that deer and turkeys aren't being reported.

Here's another thing: few people here fear the repercussions of getting caught not reporting a deer or turkey. The penalties don't hurt enough.

I think it's in Idaho or Washington where response to the post-season survey is mandatory to be able to purchase your license and tags for the next season. Kentucky is that way with its sandhill crane post-survey. Either respond or you don't get to play next season.

It's not that difficult in today's electronic era, or shouldn't be. Send the survey. Make it clear that if you don't respond, you're flagged and don't get to purchase a license for the next season. I think Idaho even includes a fine if you don't respond.

It should not have to be that way. But that's where we are for some things now.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020