Spoiler alert-If you rarely shoot farther than 100 yards at a deer, this read will probably be a waste of time.

Just wanted to share something that someone new to deer hunting might not know...
I’ve explained my viewpoint on this many times, and most of the time get a “hmmm” or “well that makes sense”....but rarely do people take the time to actually do it.

Many rifles can “track” after a string of shots.
3 shot groups fired in sequence to sight in a deer rifle, can give you a “settled down” hot barrel zero, but it “sometimes” isn’t the same as a cold barrel zero. To me, a cold barrel 3-shot group takes many hours to do, and is best done on a multi-day schedule. I’ve got a great setup, because I have a 200 yard range nearby, and some folks don’t...so I get that.
Normally we get 1 shot at a deer, and it’s a cold barrel shot. After I started doing my cold barrel sight in, I haven’t had a weird situation (like in the past) where I shoot a longer shot (250-300 yards +), miss the deer, then follow up shot is perfect. Some rifles are worse than others at warm barrel movement on point of impact, but it makes a difference when you get past 250 yards.
Hope this helps!