Originally Posted by Bigbamaboy
You boys do what you want, but I wouldn’t climb a tree with an expired harness or ONE THAT DOESNT HAVE A FOOT STIRRUP. After sittin through hours of fall prevention and harness training, I came to realization that falling from a stand is MUCH MORE dangerous that I thought.

If you don’t have a stirrup to take the weight off your legs, you will start losing circulation and could be unconscious in as little as 4 min. You don’t have long to live hanging in a harness. Let’s be real... the chances of help reaching us in 4 mins is almost zero.

Also, a shock absorbing lanyard is a must. A proper shock absorbing lanyard will keep your shock under 900 lbs. 1800lbs is approaching fatal... a 6’ fall with a non shock absorbing lanyard can exert about 7800lbs.

Great info. I've always said if you fall, you better have a plan to get out of the harness as soon as possible. I keep a small knife in the pocket of my harness. If I can't get back in the stand within a couple of minutes, I'm cutting the line and bear hugging down the tree or taking my chances hitting the ground at least feet first.