I've only lived and hunted in Alabama for a year so my experiences are woefully limited compared to others on the site. I can be at my spots on Cahaba WMA in about 30 minutes so that's where I've focused virtually all of my scouting and hunting efforts. I've also only hunted gun and muzzleloader days because an old smoke pole is my weapon of choice for deer.

Your observations are on point; it can tough hunting out there. Deer density isn't great and it does get a good deal of pressure on gun days. That being said, I have seen deer on all but one of my hunts (I have only put in 5 days) and harvested a buck in November. Maybe not the best property for a new hunter though.

Black Warrior/Bankhead is generally regarded as the land of monsters in Alabama. Density is very low but the chance at a great buck if a draw for many. My preferred style of hunting is similar to Western big game (backpack in, still hunt, calling), and I think that property might be a good fit for that style. I'm already planning on a multi-day solo backpack hunt in Bankhead next November.