Originally Posted by noeyeddeer
On this subject. How do you suggest you season a pan from scratch? I've ready so many articles and tried many things but at this point it just appears to be luck because I can't get it consistent between all my pans.
I'll start using crisco instead of regular veggie oil but what about temp, length of time to bake, how many times to repeat, how often to do it, etc.

it's actually very simple ... BUT, when you say "from scratch", to me that means a completely stripped down pan (IOW down to bare iron again with no traces of the previous seasoning on the pan) ... below is a pic of what ALL my iron looks like before i ever start a seasoning cycle on it -- complete, raw, stripped cast iron ... it's battleship grey when you get it to this point ...

once stripped, the process is a simple 3 step process - 1) warm the iron up to 200 deg in your oven; when it hits 200, pull out the pan & wipe on A THIN COAT OF CRISCO & THEN (seems counter-intuitive but trust me) wipe it off with a lint-free dry cloth to wipe the EXCESS Crisco off the pan; put it back in your oven 2) raise the temp to 300 deg & punch 20 minutes on a timer - after 20 minutes, pull the iron out & wipe the excess Crisco w/the lint-free dry cloth & put it back in the oven, 3) raise the temp to 475 deg & set a timer for 1 hr 15 mins & let it bake on the first layer of seasoning; when this timer goes off, turn the oven off & let the iron completely cool down INSIDE THE OVEN (which can take a few hours or so) ...

for my USER iron, i do this 3 step process once & then start cooking on it; for my SALES iron, i'll do this process another time or two b/c well seasoned iron looks good in pictures ... the pan is non-stick after the 1st seasoning cycle, however ...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 01/13/20 03:50 PM.

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.