Originally Posted by trlrdrdave
Originally Posted by Irishguy
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

[Linked Image]

All of our skillets look like this on the inside. Smooth.

Now a days, like you said, only boutique cast iron makers actually finish their skillets on the inside and they charge you a pretty penny for it.

All the new Lodge stuff looks like the next picture you posted... Like a pebble finish which is crap for cooking.

The best bet if you can't find a finished vintage skillet is to buy a new Lodge or a cheap used skillet and take a grinder and finish it yourself and then re-season it.

I'm going to have to disagree on this. Once it is seasoned that finish holds the seasoning very well. No need to put the grinder to it and actually hurts it. I cant tell any difference cooking any thing in my Lodge or my old Griswald. Even eggs. I made a clock out of the one Lodge I ended up with somebody had smoothed it out. Hated cooking in it.

I agree. The slickest iron skillet I have is a hand me down from my great grandmother and chit sticks to it badly. I bought a new, unseasoned 12" Lodge over 20 years ago and it's great to cook with after I got it seasoned right.

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe