2Dogs, we did genetic testing several years ago with MSU. The only location I remember still having genetic markers similar to their stocking source was Bankhead. Most other deer populations in the south don’t show any genetic markers to their stocking source. Most deer are what they are, natives from the remnants of what was left before stocking or a hodgepodge of different stocking sources. I’ll see if I can locate the full report.

Goatkiller, that’s not an official policy of the state. It’s a management scenario I recommend on some properties. Not all. Not even most. We make recommendations according to what ppl want to see. We base that off of individual objectives. If you want to grow and see more mature deer there are other things you have to sacrifice. If you want to hunt and have a good time and occasionally kill a mature deer that’s MUCH different than an advanced QDM or TDM property. The state is not in the business of managing for trophies. That’s your job as a landowner. We have a 3 buck limit. You get to decide which 3 bucks you kill. If you want them all to be 120”+ I’d suggest locating a property that provides that opportunity. It’s not something the state is going to mandate over the general hunting public.

Last edited by Mbrock; 12/17/19 09:32 PM.