Originally Posted by jaredhunts
We grew up in a neighborhood in montgomery named Regency park. Evertime a thunderstorm filled through,lightning would hit the power transformer in our backyard. It was exciting for a 6 year old to see.

In our previous house we built we had 3 strikes inside 200 yards. We had a small creek in the backyard and there was a very high concentration if iron in the soil. Creek would almost turn orange. My grandfather was out there with me, right after we built house, and said we would have issues with lightning. He spent 40 years with APCO as a lineman and said there were certain spots that had lightning strikes year after year and the only similarity in those spots was a high iron content. The first strike hit the road while I was standing on a wet garage floor which resulted in a mild shock. The second strike hit a pine tree 50’ from the house while I was taking a leak, luckily my sphincter muscles work just fine 😀. The third strike did the most damage. Storm was rolling through and I opened front door to check the gutters. 5 seconds after I open the door lightning hits the front yard and immediately EVERY smoke detector in the house goes crazy. Somehow the lightning fried everyone of them and several other electrical items. I’m guessing it came in through the ground. Glad we sold that house