I think my ole man caught it around late 40's early 50's, which was when I was about a junior in highschool. He started drinking a bunch (dad never had alcohol in the house growing up). Anytime we would actually go hunting or fishing(which was super rare) he would say, "I'm just happy to be out here and I don't care if we see or catch a thing." I am all for enjoying nature but this was different. It was like all his drive was gone and he wasn't mad at em anymore. It was a huge buzzkill for me and I didn't want to hunt or fish with him during these years. He didn't ever cheat on my mom or go blow a bunch of money, but he hated his job and was miserable all the time, and miserable to be around. I could see the pain and depression he bore but he thought as the head of the family it was his responsibility to keep it tucked away. My father is the only person I ever looked up to, so it was a huge let down when he was acting this way for a couple years. Around this time he did start working out. He has since stopped all the drinking and is once again fun to hunt and fish with, but it really did a number on our relationship. He never did stopped working out. That joker has arms the size of tree trunks.

If you have a son that you raised right he looks up to you more than you probably realize. Even if he is in the pain in the ass, always wants to argue about everything teenage years he still wants to hang out with you. The worse thing my dad did during those years was push me away. He thought I hated his guts but he wouldn't let me talk long enough to tell him I just wanted to spend time with him.

The big thing that helped my Father get out of it was getting a new job and working out. That and removing his pride enough to talk about how miserable he was.

Last edited by gcr0003; 12/05/19 11:50 AM.