I bought a 2001 Yamaha 5hp 2stroke from a member here that had sat for several years. When I got it, I did basic maintenance (plug, rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, cleaned internal tank, fuel lines, water pump). Got it running like a champ, but it doesn't seem to be spitting water like I think it should. I know the water pump is attached to the water line, as it took me about 2 hours to get the water pump, shift linkage, and driveshaft to all seat. At idle, it seems to just spit a little water, not as stream. I have been told that I need to let it warm up and open the thermostat, which I did (ran for about 15 minutes, no change). I've also been told that this is normal operation for a Yamaha, as the telltale isn't under direct pressure and if it's spitting water it's working. I am concerned that something is amiss, as there seems to be exhaust spitting out the hole with the water, and its pushing bubbles from the side plug where you access the shift linkage, and through the top of the hole were the shift rod comes up through the lower unit. I am running the motor in a 5 gallon bucket full of water, and I am wondering if the exhaust is causing the water pump to suck the exhaust and cavitate the pump. Any thoughts before I tear the foot back off of it?