Originally Posted by Mbrock
Originally Posted by Nightwatchman
I guess I am the only one who does not think that the map is accurate at all for several areas of the state.

I've hunted several different areas, mostly in south Alabama but also some north of Birmingham and I have witnessed heavier chasing at different times than the map suggests. I'm sure there are studies to back up the map, but I have consistently witnessed bucks chasing at different times of the season than the map shows.

Bucks chasing does does not give the full picture, as they will do that any time they have hardened antler. Most visible chasing that hunters see occurs 10-14 days before peak breeding or conception. Fetal studies tell you exactly, to within 24 hours, when a doe conceived.

That doesn’t mean the map is complete. There are areas in the state we lack data, but of what we have data for, the conception dates don’t lie.

I'm painting what you're priming. Just because bucks are chasing does not mean that (on average) most does are actually conceiving around that time.

What can you tell us about other indicators of rut activity? i.e. tarsal glands darkening. If I shoot a buck in late January that stinks really bad and has jet black tarsal glands does that mean he is in full rut? Conversely, if I shoot a buck in early January and his glands are only somewhat dark does that mean that the rut is still several weeks away?

Or are these characteristics at all tied to actual chasing activity from a biologist's standpoint? I've always heard old timers talk alot about dark tarsal glands and bucks "stinking" but wondered what it meant from an actual biologist point of view. Grandaddy's ole huntin' advice is not always backed by science lol