Originally Posted by ikillbux
Originally Posted by GomerPyle
Originally Posted by ikillbux
I can only sum this up to variations from one piece of property to another, but I'm impressed by local Bama folks who identify deer on cameras and actually see them and kill them throughout the season, because my experience with this is to get several deer on cameras repeatedly up until early bow season, at which time they vanish from earth to never be seen again.

Yeah, that's a foreign concept to me.......I've never hunted a place where you have a real "history" with deer............get them on camera multiple years, be able to compare yearly progress, see a deer on-the-hoof and know which one it is, pattern specific deer and know when/where to expect them. I have never had that luxury.

This is stuff that only happens to Midwest TV hunters
smile

I know a few people who do this with regularity. They don't pressure the deer, don't have scads of people running around their property, and they know which bucks are which. After 4-5 years if the hunt goes as planned, they'll kill one or two really nice "wow!" bucks a season.

On a previous property I hunted, I had two bucks with relationship issues. One, I played cat-and-mouse with for a couple of seasons. He's the one I could've shot but it would have been after "legal shooting hours," which IMO are completely f'king stupid (but that's a different rant). Smart buck. Got some photos of him on camera now and then.

The other was a truly "wow!" buck that showed up in the same spot the same week three years in a row. He was, as ikillbux said, one of those that just vanished. Traveling buck, moving from one area to another. I think I knew where he was coming from and going to, but lost the land before I could hunt him more seriously. He was a good one.

I have a buck now that I have a two-year relationship with. If I can kill him this year I'll be pretty darn happy since he's one of the most weirdo non-typical bucks I've ever seen other than the Cryptorchid 'cactus' bucks.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020