Originally Posted by CoachBuck67
I am a teacher (History 14 years). I am also 52 which means I have spent most of my adult life working in other fields (UPS, construction, sales, chicken plant, foundry, airline parts overhaul and repair, built recreation equipment, Wal-Mart, and I worked in a warehouse). True there are plenty of teachers that complain about their work, and some do have a legitimate complaint, but there are also others that have done "nothing", as far as work, other than teach, but if you look in any profession for that matter there are people out there that should have chosen something else to do or at least have experience or wisdom from prior job knowledge. I know for a fact this is the easiest job I have ever had. It can be very rewarding, but at the same time there are too many people that have a say so in education or some that have been so far removed from the classroom that they do not know how to fix what is broken which leads to disgruntled attitudes. I had the privileged to go back to school so I decided to pay it forward because I remember the teachers in the classroom that tried their hardest to reach me and lead me to a better future. It was a long road but I remembered their investment in me and the other students. Rather it is teaching or coaching the most important thing is to help the students understand what the future is like. I encourage trade over college for the most part because most of my students fit that mold, college isn't for everyone. Just like me, sometimes its better to go out and learn the ways of the wild before you can actually choose your niche.
So before you go out and judge, understand most of us that do care, we go above and beyond the call of duty, and most do not have summers off.

exactly. Same in higher ed. Funny how the complainers are the ones that went straight through and have really never had a job outside of their TA/RA. They also don't seem to realize how today's decisions influence outcomes down the road.